Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bicycle Shoes Final

I finished the bicycle shoes today (minus one detail):


I dyed and waxed the sole and edges for a finished look. For a heel, I just used a western boot toplift. They fit with the look of the shoes.


The outsole still needs to be stitched on, but it may be a while before I can make arrangements to use someones stitcher. Overall I am very pleased with the results. My main goals were to use a different method of standard forme production, and to make an athletically styled shoe. Functionally I think it will take a few more to get the everything where I want it without using hi-tech materials.

I need to:

1) Stiffen the shank area further.
2) Lighten and clean the composite sole
3) Install cleats

Over all I think the upper needs a little more body, which will require a few further materials changes. My bike mechanic really liked the composite sole and agreed that it appeared that it would accept a cleat pretty well.

Tomorrow, I'll need to dig out a pair of trainer insoles and see about wear-testing them.

Erick

2 comments:

kiddo said...

These definately remind me of a pair of vintage bicycle lace-ups I once had but are much nicer.

I've got shoe envy...

Kirsten-Erick said...

Kiddo,

Thanks, I'm working on getting back to working out the kinks on these.

Over at "Archival Clothing" Lesli Larson has collected a few images of nice looking vintage bike shoes that I find inspiring.