Friday, April 13, 2012

Velo V2 Update

I've been waiting to post an update on the new version of the Velo shoes until there was visual evidence. I'm pressed fro time, but here's a couple items.

A big plus has been working machines - I'm no longer forced to run all over to sew bits and bobs elsewhere! After some fiddling, I figured out what was wrong with my one machine for zig-zagging the seams. Much neater and they only require minor reinforcement before the facings get sewn on:



Recently, I acquired a new walking foot machine. This one can sew pretty heavy materials - and specifically - I can use a very heavy sewing thread which I like the look of. With a special attachment I can apply seam binding easily - initially I wanted this for building bags, but it also makes a particularly vexing part of the Velo's much easier and cleaner. I'm still working trouble shooting a bit, but it is a vast improvement over V1:


The tongues now have retainer tabs on them to keep them from wandering off to the side:


There are some other changes to the patterns, but I'm waiting until they're lasted to show them. Some relatively unseen changes are to the internal structures and the lasts, that should improve some of the problematic finishing on the first ones.

I'm about to finish the backs, and move on to the toes and tongues:



In non-Velo news, here's a picture of a pair of ankle boots I'm working on:


Don't forget to check out my Etsy store to see my new wallets!

Gotta run!

No comments: